Choosing the proper roof for your Ohio commercial building is an important decision. You want a roof that will provide protection, be easy and cost effective to maintain, and stand up to Ohio’s snow filled winters and high winds. Many commercial property owners are turning to flat roofs due to their many benefits and the wide range of options when it comes to roofing materials.
Benefits of Commercial Flat Roofing
• Easily Accessible – Due to the minimal slope of a flat roof, it is easier to access. These roofs are low maintenance.
• Affordable – Construction costs are reduced because no shingles are required. Added to that is the fact that fewer complications are involved when repairing damages.
• Long Life Span – Flat roofs have a longer life due to the easy maintenance and their gravel and tar structure. These roofs resist damage and last up to 30 years or more.
• Wind Resistant – There is less wind resistance with a flat roof. High winds can damage the shingles or tiles of a sloped roof.
• Equipment Space – Space is a big concern for commercial buildings. Flat roofs can easily accommodate vents and exhausts. The plain surface provides the needed symmetry to stabilize even heavy equipment.
Types of Flat Roofs
Once you decide on a flat roof for your commercial building you need to choose which type of materials will be best for your building. The following are the most popular choices.
• Asphalt Built Up Roofs – These are the oldest style and most affordable.
• Modified Membranes – Polymer modifiers that are added to the asphalt provide flexibility.
• PVC Roofing – Plasticizers are used to improve flexibility.
• TPO Roofing – This thermoplastic option does not contain plasticizers, but is still flexible.
• EPDM Rubber Roofing – These are popular with commercial properties due to their resistance to chemicals.